ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Equipment for cleaning vintage razors

We're talking about cleaning, not polishing or restoring?
A soft toothbrush. Washing-up liquid. Toothpaste.
Pipe cleaners for injector razors.
Ultrasonic cleaner.

What about polishing, do you use something special?
Peek, patience and elbow grease.
Sometimes I use Brasso.
I haven't bought a razor needing radical treatment in quite a while.

When I find a really filthy 1912 for £2 in the wild (it does happen) I have to buy it (although I don't need another one) to prove to myself how easy they are to clean.
As I don't go to car boot sales or antique markets very often anymore (pandemic) - it has been quite a while. Alas!
I don't buy filthy stuff from eBay, so a simple clean suffices.

Really hopeless cases get replated. OK... I only did that once with a not-very-rare surplus GEM Zinn razor... to check out a replating guy in the UK. The result was excellent...

Last edited:
Really hopeless cases get replated.

I'm interested in this. Does the case get replated with top and bottom still joined at the hinge or does the case get pulled apart to replate then. I have often wondered whether it's possible to replate a case because of the hinges. Or does the "replate" get between those surfaces in without pulling it apart.

Do you use the original or the eagle version of NevrDull?
The Original. And I use the extreme fine fibercloth you find at car detailers, who use it to polish chrome.

I'm interested in this. Does the case get replated with top and bottom still joined at the hinge or does the case get pulled apart to replate then. I have often wondered whether it's possible to replate a case because of the hinges. Or does the "replate" get between those surfaces in without pulling it apart.
That's "case" as in "a particular situation or example of something:", not as in "a container or box for storing something in"

Having said that...
I assume you would remove the hinge pin from the hinge to separate the top from the bottom and replace it after the procedure.

Back