ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Gillette Ivory Cases

efsk

Absurd hero
SU-Patron Gold
MiLady circa 1920. Case is Ivory.
IMG_0046.jpeg
IMG_0044.jpeg
IMG_0045.jpeg

The Milady is in a lovely case seldom seen. This is not a NEW razor however, and rather is of the New Improved series from the early 1920s, as indicated.

Then it may be timely to add the Gentleman’s version. These cases I believe were crafted in London, but I have yet to figure out by who.

IMG_7537.jpeg
IMG_7538.jpeg

I think that's a New Improved.

Yes. I think it is safe to say…….

Can’t get it wrong in this new thread now though - it is indeed a Gillette ivory case. (So easy to get burdened in gillette model taxonomy and dating .) So wonderful to hold this case in person. The feel is different from any other material. And these two at least are over 100 years old. The Old Type razor and case above, I have not seen one before and assumed it was a New Improved without looking close enough. Thanks for sharing that one!

IMG_8052.jpeg
IMG_8076.jpeg
IMG_8086.jpeg

Yes. I think it is safe to say…….

Can’t get it wrong in this new thread now though - it is indeed a Gillette ivory case. (So easy to get burdened in gillette model taxonomy and dating .) So wonderful to hold this case in person. The feel is different from any other material. And these two at least are over 100 years old. The Old Type razor and case above, I have not seen one before and assumed it was a New Improved without looking close enough. Thanks for sharing that one!

View attachment 37109View attachment 37110View attachment 37111
That's an interesting counter top!

That's an interesting counter top!

Thanks! It is a wonderful English shaving stand I was lucky enough to connect with. I have had it for at least ten years I’d guess, and I never tire of sorting and loading razors on it. I researched the top trying to learn more about the razor stand as I found out the top was quarried in central England and the stone is fossilized worm tubes - the calciferous tubes the worms build fill with minerals/silt and after time fossilize. Apparently it was a desired stone top and some of the best for cutting and grinding come from central England in the late 1800s crossing into the 1900s.

IMG_8099.jpeg
IMG_8102.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks! It is a wonderful English shaving stand I was lucky enough to connect with. I have had it for at least ten years I’d guess, and I never tire of sorting and loading razors on it. I researched the top trying to learn more about the razor stand as I found out the top was quarried in central England and the stone is fossilized worm tubes - the calciferous tubes the worms build fill with minerals/silt and after time fossilize. Apparently it was a desired stone top and some of the best for cutting and grinding come from central England in the late 1800s crossing into the 1900s.

View attachment 37121View attachment 37122
That is gorgeous!!! :daumenhoch

Back