ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Darwin - Drake's Bay Rum

efsk

Absurd hero
SU-Patron Gold
The Darwin brand has been given a reboot in France, and several nice offerings of the brand are for sale. One of these: the Drake's Bay Rum.
Now one of the things I like about Darwin is the vintage, Victorian, Baroque, piraty air they give their products. Examplified here by the use of Drake, called a pirate by the Spanish, hero by the English, like the Dutch Piet Hein.
Drake's Bay Rum is available as soap in a coconut bowl, as a soap refill, and as aftershave. I got me a pre-order soap in coconutbowl, my first Bay rum scented soap.
The soap is made in collaboration with Le Pere Lucien, and uses duck fat. That, too, was a first for me.
The scent of the soap is a bit subdued, those expecting a scentbomb will be disappointed, but to me the level is just right. Slightly smokey, a presence of bayleaf over a spicy yet fresh base, lovely. Instant favorite. As my scent descriptions are often somewhat lacking, this is what Darwin themselves have to say about it:
Scent is composed only of natural essential oils and real amber rum (10%):

- St Thomas berry and bay laurel : two similar fruits that are reminiscent of laurel, but that soften it.
- Citron: native to India, it brings a woody and fruity note at the same time. It is a citrus fruit similar to lemon, which scent is reminiscent of cedar.
- Frankincense: a woody, fairly mineral scent with a slightly spicy aspect.
- Amber rum: warm, sweet, spicy.
- Ambergris: powdery, warm, it helps binding the different notes together.
- Cade wood: smoky and woody.
Now we see immediately: natural essential oils, frankincense, ambergris, not the cheapest of ingredients and indeed, not a cheap soap. Mine was the extra expensive version, in a coconut bowl in a nice pouch, looks stunning.
Shaving with it ... This soap lathers like a dream! Loads easily, makes a beautiful fatty smooth lather, just like I want it. Rinses easily from the razor, and gives the best postshave feel I've ever experienced from a soap. Honestly. The skin feels soft, supple, not fat or dry, just perfect. This is absolutely my best performing soap, and it smells good, too!
DSC04507.JPG
DSC04509.JPG
DSC04510.JPG
DSC04511.JPG
DSC04512.JPG
DSC04514.JPG
DSC04515.JPG
DSC04516.JPG

Very original to wrap a Bay Rum soap in a coconut.
Now I have to say that Darwin's packaging is always quite special.

Back