ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Hone of the day (HOTD)

I bought a little heljestrand razor.

I cleaned it and honed it on a coticule and charnley. It is possible to shave, but it is missing a little sharpness View attachment 10722 View attachment 10723

As you haven’t mentioned another hone I assume that you set the bevel with the coticule. The Heljestrand razors are usually made of a harder steel and setting a bevel can be quite a challenge even with a synthetic hone.
Your problem with the sharpness could stem from a not rightly set bevel.

I didn't mention it in the post, but I started with a shapton glass stone 1k, followed by a 2k.

But I think you're right. I'm a little cautious, afraid to remove to much steel. you can even see it on the photo. The bevel is not shining.

I will go back to the 1k.

The razor is well worth restoring.

Well those shaptons should be able to do the trick. Check the bevel with the thumbnail test after the bevel set before you go on.

Hone of the day is a Naniwa 8k Junpaku Snow White. I have had it for years and I use it to jump to the final finisher. Today the final finisher is a small Thuringian. The razor is a Spanish #14 Ricart 101 which dropped on the doormat yesterday.

D2C90A8F-6720-4811-9F53-416AB3D5C069.jpeg

I tried to restore the heljestrand. There was a slight frown in the blade. I had to breadknife it on a DMT bench stone. Then I tried to restore the bevel with a progression of 1k, 2k shapton glass stone, coticule, charnley forest.

A few shots of the bevel after coticule and charnley.

After that I honed a Leresche citadin limineux. That was much easier.

The shave has to show if the hone was succesfull.20191003_214735900.jpg 20191003_215232019.jpg IMG_20191003_223246722.jpg

Le grelot 71 6/8

First cleaned it up, sanded it to remove spots.

Then shapton 1k, 2k, coticule and ended on a small thuringer.

First time I did it like this. I hope to shave with it tomorrow.

Testing some tomo today with some gold dollars

The two tomo were used from 2k to finish on the Narutaki with a medium amount of slurry
And also for a refresh with only a little slurry

the testshave for the grey tomorrow were both very good.
The lighter stone is more a nagura for the prefinishing

E8A8DF7E-107F-4242-9237-B762DBB235ED.jpeg

The gottlieb hammesfahr 8/8” arrived this morning so I did a quick cleanup and honed it with a finish on a Oozuku
There is some devils spit that will be hard to remove, maybe I will just leave it like that
Test shave later today

D11CC2E9-21BA-4CD3-8E58-A9CA2A0AFA71.jpeg
00576A45-08B3-44E1-82CF-BB1D99D7F5DC.jpeg

It's definitely me, but I really don't know what you mean:proud.
I think this blade looks right taking in account its age. Doesn't it?

Restored a pradat brun.

The blade had a frown. I breadknifed it on a DMT diamond stone.

It took me a long time to get a shiny bevel along the complete blade. I used the dmt, shapton glass 1000k, shapton glass 2000k, coticule and finished on the pierre la lune (only for good razors) with a mixture of glycerine, water and dish water soap.

My Koraat ( 6/8 near wedge model "the White queen" with witte micarta scales) felt harsh the last time i used it so time for a refresh. It was still the original edge from Ulrik and i know he use tape so to see if 1 layer is enough i did the sharpie test on my Naniwa 5 k.

Then i started on my Nakayama with Tsustumi black nagura, Mejiro, Koma and tomo.
Second time using this stone, man this is a smooth one, really nice to hone on.
Saturday i will do my testshave to see if It went oke.
20191024_104553.jpg

I just did a refresh of my 24kt gold plated Koraat on my Thurigan Yellow/Green finisher. Tomorrow shave test.
It's an odd shape so it was bit trying to figure out to cover the whole bevel on the stone, but I think I made it work for myself.
9Q8dkRo.jpg

Back