ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Le Pere Lucien

gvw755

In my last trade with an unidentified razor enabler that occasionally shows up on this forum (like 24/7) I also received a tin of Le Pere Lucien Abricot shave soap. The tin had about 25% left in it, but because it was the massive 200g size, 25% is almost a regular size shaving puck from most vendors.

I lathered it that night and found that it was probably the most balanced shave soap I ever used. It was easy to lather, the scent was very noticeable and pleasant, the lather was very slick and it had great post shave feel.

When shaving, I found that the razor just glided over my face without effort and I could do dry buffing and touch up because the lubrication lingered afterwards. The scent very subtly lasted a while after the shave. I found, in subsequent shaves, that there were two things that were not quite perfect. First was that the scent was one dimensional - apricots (although it was a very natural apricot scent).

The second was slightly more important and that was that although this was a thirsty soap, during bowl lathering, it could break very quickly. I went from the perfect lather, added just a couple of drops of water, and suddenly the lather came out foamy and light. Nothing that loading the brush again for a couple of seconds didn't solve.

After a week of using the Abricot more times than any other soap in my rotation, I decided to just look at who carries the soap and how much it cost. I found that one scent that was not easy to find was the Oud-Santal, which combined two of my favorite soap scents. When I found an old but unused tin of it on eBay, that was when the Jedi voice told me to get it and so I guess with this social distancing regulation, I wasn't planning to fill up my car with a tank of petrol anytime soon anyway.

I later found out that the Oud-Santal used a different formula than the Abricot. The Abricot was a vegan formula and the Oud-Santal had tallow.

Tonight I used the Oud-Santal and found the scent to be very strong and complex, which I liked. Lathering was easy and the lather was even slicker than the Abricot. I found that I could actually apply some pressure on the tough areas of my face without worrying about irritation or weepers. Face feel later was excellent and the scent still lingers as I write this nearly two hours later.

For the longest time, I never considered buying a $40 tin of soap, and I am certain that a lot of the cost came from packing so much soap in one tin. Why Le Pere Lucien insist on packing their soaps into 200g tins is a mystery to me. Between my two tins, I have enough to last me for many years, and if I had children, I could probably pass it on to them so they could pass it on to their children. Something this good should be packed in 80-90g tins so folks would buy more different scents to try out.

DSC03153.JPG

I have ambivalent feelings about the LPL soaps. I have and had several soaps including the Apricot, Traditional, Rosemary, Old Neroli and Rose du Pushkar.

Especially the strength in the fragrances both smelling of the pot and layner I find striking.

For example, the Apricot had almost no smell in the lather while the Oud Neroli remains quite strong in the lather.

With the Traditional I got a slight irritation on the skin while that is not the case with the other soaps.

And the foam is of varying quality but that said he has a few pearls and for me these are mainly the Rosemary and the Rose du Pushkar.

The Apricot would be as well because smelling the pot I find this a lovely smell but it is so disappointing that foamed up the smell almost disappears completely.

I have over time ordered several of these and found that the smell of different batches is rather great, so is the way it lathers up. That's why I don't own any LPL's anymore. When they are good they are great, other times not so much.

Back